Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Moose Loose

Monday was a beautiful morning in Colorado.  The sky was blue with no clouds to be seen and the light breeze made the temperature perfect.  My husband and I were out for our morning walk when we passed a man with binoculars.  With excitement in the man's voice, he asked us if we had seen the moose in the wetland area.  I was thinking "sure". 

We live in a residential area.  I have been to Yellowstone about ten times and I have never seen a moose.  The man proceeded to tell us that there were two moose and they were laying in the cattails of the wetlands just right around the corner.

With speed, I rushed to the area where these "supposed" moose were.  When I got to the area, there were about ten people standing around with cameras, their phones and binoculars.  Amazingly, they were about twenty feet from where I stood.    The two moose were laying butt to butt chewing on the vegetation.  They were oblivious to the people.

They were probably thinking, why can't these creatures move on and allow us to enjoy the area.  I guess we were like paparazzi.

We stood around and observed them and chit-chatted with the neighbors.  No one could believe that there were two moose right in our backyard.

As we walked home, a lady standing on her balcony told us that she and her husband walked outside that morning with their coffee and here were these two moose walking through the wetlands.  That definitely would have been a sight to see.

When I got home, I texted and phoned other neighbors to let them know about the moose.



The next day we read that moose are rejected by their mother to live on their own by the age of 1.  These two were probably siblings and that they had followed a drainage from the mountains to the town of Loveland.  I guess they needed some "love".

Parks and Wildlife arrived and tranquilized them so they could relocate them to an area where they would be safe from the paparazzi, cars, etc.  That would have been another sight to see.  The moose probably weighed about 750 pounds each.

Another day in the "land of love"!  You never know what you will see next!








No comments: