Tuesday, June 11, 2019

What Storms Are You Facing?

I can remember back in May of 1974 and competing in a regatta on Lake Travis in Austin, Texas.  I was in a small sailboat with a friend.  There were over 100 sailboats in this race.  The morning had started out with no wind.  It took over thirty minutes to get across the starting line.  Everyone was frustrated, hot, sweating due to the humidity and lack of wind.

After we crossed the starting line, it was still very challenging in getting the wind to fill the sails.  Finally, the wind picked up and the sails began to flap and fill up with air.  The sailboats were finally cruising.  Everyone was so enthralled in getting the boats moving that no one really noticed the dark clouds moving in from the north.  Within minutes, there was thunder, lightening and force winds.  We were trying to batten down the hatches when all of the sudden, the strong winds picked up the hull of the boat that I was in and flipped it.  The boat capsized and there was no way to turn the boat over.  Fortunately we had on our life jackets.  We drifted in between the high waves.  A rescue boat was in the area and it assisted us and pulled us into the boat.  I was shivering from being wet and the temperature had dropped.

I will always remember this day.   For almost a year, I would get anxiety being around lakes and oceans.  I did not want to be near water.  I finally got back onto the lakes and I have even cruised in a small sailboat and I have been on several cruises.

With these thoughts, it helps me to reflect on the storms that we face in everyday life.  Circumstances in life can be so overwhelming.  And with being overwhelmed, fear approaches our life.   As I think about that day in the sailboat, fear came over me.  I was afraid that I was going to drown and that I would never see my family again.

In our life, it is certain that we will be faced with a storm or storms.  Storms can blow you off course; storms also expose our weaknesses and storms definitely produces fear. 

Some storms that we face are illnesses; relationships; finances; emotional; mental and even spiritual battles.  God does promise to rescue His people.  Isaiah 43:1-2 says "Israel, the Lord who created you says "Do not be afraid--I will save you.  I have called you by name--you are mine.  When you pass through deep waters, I will be with you."  We know that we are going to go through storms.  How are we going to face them?

The disciples even faced a storm on the Sea of Galilee.  They were trying to get to Capernaum.  Strong winds were blowing and stirring up the water.  They saw Jesus walking on water towards them.  Jesus told them "Don't be afraid".  They brought Jesus into the boat and immediately the boat reached land at the place they were heading for.  Notice how there was all of sudden calmness among the crew as Jesus got into the boat.  Jesus gives us the calmness to handle situations.

As storms come into our lives, we need to allow Jesus to get into the storm with us.  He is the one who will assist us to get to safe grounds.

Always remember, Jesus is bigger than any storm that we ever face!  He wants to get into the boat with you and as He does there will be a calmness that you will not understand.


1 comment:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Life is full of storms, it is how we weather them that help make us who we are