Monday, August 30, 2021

To Dream The Impossible Dream

For the past several weeks, the song "The Impossible Dream" has been playing in my mind.  This was a song that was released in 1965.  Back then, I enjoyed the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, but I also loved musicals.  This song was written for the Broadway Musical "Man of La Mancha". 

When Andy Williams would sing it, my voice would come alive and I would begin to sing out loud.

"To dream the impossible dream, To fight the unbeatable foe, To bear with unbearable sorrow, To run where the brave dare not go"....."To reach the unreachable star".

This song was perfect for the musical.  Dox Quixote intends to restore the world of chivalry.  He is a dreamer and sees good in everyone and everything.  He sets out on his adventure where he fights imaginary giants, dragons & wizards.

I can remember this song would feel me with hope and made me think that I could conquer anything.  A thirteen year old girl that felt the whole world was before me.  I was very timid.  Afraid to speak up; afraid to get in front of the room; afraid to ask for anything.

I had dreams, but I was not strong or comfortable to fight for those dreams.  I was a tall, lanky, 5'10" with long brown hair and big brown eyes.  My dream was to become a model.  I even signed up with a modeling school, but I didn't have the courage to go.  I always felt that there were prettier girls than me.  That nobody would notice me.

So every time that I would hear the musical tune "The Impossible Dream", a smile would appear and my eyes would sparkle and for a moment I also felt that I was fighting those imaginary giants.

Hear I am almost sixty years later and I am still dreaming.  Yes, I still want to be that super-model.  But I have a new dream.  I want to write a novel about a woman who wants to flee from a communist country to find the freedom that she had always been looking for.  

I thank God that I now feel comfortable with myself.  I speak in front of groups, I ask questions and I figure out a way to obtain my dreams.

To have a dream, one also needs a plan.  "Ask the Lord to bless your plans, and you will be successful in carrying them out."  Proverbs 16:3

"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."  Philippians 4:13

I am believing in the unbelievable and dreaming that I could be that next best selling author.  

Is there something you are dreaming about?  Something that you feel is beyond reach?  Begin to believe and start humming "The Impossible Dream".






2 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

A great sond, a great post

CWMartin said...

Andy Williams could sing the phone book and hit me that way. BTW, that means I agree!