Tuesday, March 20, 2018

I Love the Word IMPOSSIBLE

In the 70's, I read the book I Love the Word Impossible by Ann Kiemel.  That book made a great impression on my life.  Throughout the book, Ann talked about dreaming big and believing that God can make a difference in my world.

At the time, I was going through so many struggles.  I was alone, I lived in a city that I knew no one, I was taking classes and I was looking for a job.  I just wanted to throw my hands up and say, I can't do it.  The word impossible gave me hope.  I was going to believe that God could give me the peace and strength that I needed and that I could do the impossible.

Throughout the Bible, God performed the impossible.  In the book of Genesis, God did the impossible. Who would have believed that Abraham, who was 100 years old and Sarah, who was 90, would give birth to a son, Isaac.  Doing the impossible is everyday business for God.  Our big problems will not seem so impossible if we will only allow God to make them possible.

Even in the book of Luke, Zechariah and his wife, Elizabeth, were past the age of childbearing, God provided them a child, John the Baptist.  God's power is not confined by human limitations.  I know that as humans we doubt something, especially if we can't see it or because no one else has ever done it.  But God is so much bigger than we can even imagine.

Throughout the years, God has proved the impossible in so many ways.  One of the most impossible stories is the birth of my nephew, Graham and the big heart that he has.  He was born with a genetic situation and the doctors said that he would never crawl, walk, talk... and probably would not live to the age of three.  Here he is, almost 21 and he continues to prove to the world that he is one of the impossible.  He does have a lot of limitations compared to what the world would think, but to my family, he is the one that continues to help us believe in a God that loves the word impossible.

When I think of gratitude, I think of impossible and how we need to be believe!