Thursday, March 15, 2018

Gratitude

It is hard to believe that it is the middle of March and Easter Sunday is in 2 weeks.

As I walked through the neighborhood, there was a chill in the air, but I could feel the warmth of the sun and there was a clear blue sky before me.  Even though the grass was brown and there were no leaves on the trees, I heard the birds chirping and I saw a glimmer of spring.  The little yellow flowers popping out of the ground gave me hope that a new season of life was before me.  

It seems like that everything that you read is an "attitude of hatred".  What happened to the "attitude of gratitude"?

"In all things give thanks!"  1 Thessalonians 5:18

Our society is teaching us that the "world owes us", "I deserve this", "what about me?" and the list goes on.  People are hurting others by bullying, intimidating... and even have gone to the extreme of killing others because of depression, loneliness, insecurity, hatred and so much more.

Just recently I was talking to a friend about joy and how I had felt that I had lost the joy that I once had.  She reminded me that joy comes from within.  I can't buy it and no one can give it to me.  She stated that each day, I needed to list three things that I was thankful for.

That got me to thinking.  Was I really thanking God each day or was I being upset because I didn't have something that somebody else had or was I was having a "poor me" attitude.

Once I started looking at what I had to be thankful for, my whole attitude began to change.

Some things that I am thankful for are my legs to walk(so I can get my 10,000+ steps each day), my eyes to see(the beautiful mountains that surround me) and my ears to hear(my dad has lost 95% of his hearing and can't hear the birds chirping).  The list goes on.  

What are you grateful for?  Who have you told lately that you are thankful for them?

As I think about gratitude, this is what comes to mind.

G = grateful
R = respect
A = attitude
T = thankfulness
I = impossible
T = trust
U = unselfish
D = devotion
E = encouragement

With Easter in two weeks, this is the time to reflect on our lives and to think about what is the true meaning of Easter?

Begin today by writing down three things that you are thankful for!  I do believe that a little glimmer of hope will begin to blossom in your own life.


No comments: