Saturday, October 15, 2016

Cincinnati & Indianapolis

It was a busy week with airports, hotels and presentations.

Monday morning, I flew to Cincinnati, Ohio.  It was a beautiful day.  I sat next to the window on the plane and I noticed that we flew along the Ohio River as we got closer to Ohio.   I noticed the barges and power plants and I thought about the first pioneers that came along this river.  I googled the Ohio River and found out that the pioneers built flatboats and canoes to travel down the river.  The Revolutionary War was over and the Constitution was being written and settlers wanted to venture out into the unknown and go west and to begin new lives.

The Ohio River is 981 miles long, starting at the confluence of the Allegheny and the Monongahela Rivers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and ending in Cairo, Illinois, where it flows into the Mississippi River.  The Ohio River flows through six states:  Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.  There are 20 dams on this river.

I arrived in Cincinnati and went straight to the hotel to get ready for the next day.   Twenty four consultants attended the seminar on Tuesday.

I did not have time to sight-see in Cincinnati.  One of the main attractions is the Museum Center at Union.  This was originally the Cincinnati Union Terminal, which was built in 1933.  After the decline of railroad travel, most of the building was converted to other uses and is now a museum, theater and a library.  The Cincinnati Reds were the first professional baseball team.

Wednesday morning, I drove to Indianapolis, which was a 2 hour drive.  Arrived at the hotel and made some phone calls, etc.   The training seminar was on Thursday.

Indianapolis is home of the state capitol of Indiana.  I was told that I needed to come back and visit the capitol as well as the Indianapolis 500 Museum.  The Indianapolis 500 is an automobile race held annually.  The first auto race held here was in 1911.  The theme at the Indianapolis airport was the Indy 500.

Indianapolis is also the home of the Indianapolis Colts(football) and Indianapolis Indians(baseball).

As I travel to these different cities, I always like to read about the cities and to find out what the main attractions are.  Just like people, every city has it's own personality.  This is a great way to learn about the other cities throughout the United States.





No comments: