Friday, October 21, 2016

The Lesson of Pearls

Happy Friday!  This was my first Friday at home in a long time.  I spent the day going to the bank; booking doctor and eye appointments; going to the grocery store; filling up the car with gas; making phone calls; getting a massage, etc.

It has been a good day and a good week.  The one thing I have learned as I get older is that I need to go with the flow of the day.  I always have to remember that God is in charge of my day and not myself. I do make lists and plans on a daily and weekly basis.  It just helps me to keep focused on the tasks that I need to complete.  

Even though I have my list and plans, there are days that I don't complete anything on the list.  I have learned to make that okay.  God is pleased with how I manage my time, but He also is concerned with how I control my temperament.  How do I adjust to changes or to situations that don't turn out the way that I feel that they should?  What is my character like?

I once read a story about an oyster and its pearl.  I want to share that story so that you can see that "all things do work out for a reason".

"Pearls are the product of pain.  For some unknown reason, the shell of the oyster gets pierced and an alien substance--a grain of sand--slips inside.  On the entry of that foreign irritant, all the resources within the tiny, sensitive oyster rush to the spot and begin to release healing fluids that otherwise would have remained dormant.  By and by the irritant is covered and the wounds is healed--by a pearl.  No other gem has so fascinating a history.  It is the symbol of stress--a healed wound...a precious, tiny jewel conceived through irritation, born of adversity, nursed by adjustments.  Had there been no wounding, no irritating interruption, there could have been no pearl."

Every time I wear my pearl necklace, I know that the beauty of the necklace is due to the trials and circumstances that the oyster went through.

Next time you have a day that doesn't go the way that you wanted it to, just remember the story of the "pearl".


2 comments:

Rick Watson said...

I love that idea.
R

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I have always been a go with the flow type of person, I don't make a lot of long term plans, I take each day as it comes