Monday, January 9, 2017

Chinook Winds

I woke up early to the wind howling outside.  I knew the chinook winds were here.

Due to the snowy conditions and -10 temperatures for the past few days, I had not felt like bundling up and exposing myself to the outdoor elements.

After being in 80 degree temperatures, this below freezing weather was a little shock to the system.

This morning I did begin to add layers of clothing.  That wind can go right through you and I wanted to be prepared.

Chinook means "ice-eater", but it is really the name of the people where this was first derived.

After living in Wyoming and North Dakota about 20 years ago, I am familiar with the chinook winds. The warming winds blow in and can make snow one foot deep almost vanish in one day and the winter temperatures can change from -10 degrees to 50 degrees within hours.  This is literally what has happened in our area.

It is wonderful to see the snow melting and to feel the warmer temperatures.  It is still winter, so I know there is more snow ahead.  I will enjoy today!


2 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Hard to imagine it being that cold when the temp outside is 35°c

Rick Watson said...

It was in the single digits here a few days ago...burrrrr.
R