Monday, January 8, 2018

Faith = Goals

About forty years ago, I was going through a time in my life searching for what is my purpose?, who am I? and what is life all about?  That searching took me to a church that helped me to begin to understand God and what was His goal for me?

I began to memorize scripture and to study God's word, The Bible.

One of my first verses that I memorized was Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."  This is a very powerful verse.

As I begin the new year of 2018, faith and goals have been coming to mind.  When we think of a new year, we always think of goals.  A new year is a new beginning and a great time to make changes in your life.

I have been reading about other's goals, such as they want to lose weight, they want to quit smoking, they want to be a better person, they want to travel the world, etc.  So what are my goals?

My goal is to allow God to work in my life.  For God to work in my life, He needs to make changes.  He needs to work on my character, my health, my spiritual walk, my attitude and my love for others.

To have goals is to have faith.  Faith is believing when you don't see it, but it is also obeying when you don't understand.  Isn't that what goals are all about?  With goals, sometimes you are thinking there is no way that I could do that, I'm stupid for even thinking I could do that.  It will take too long to make a change.

If we don't put the goals out there, how can we ever make changes?  A blind man went to Jesus.  Jesus asked him "What do you want me to do for you?"  Jesus knew what the man wanted, but He wanted him to verbalize it.  By verbalizing what he wanted, he was having faith that God would heal him.  His goal was to see.

I am stepping out in faith and putting these goals out there.  One goal is to sing, to have a "Voice".  A friend once told me that everybody has the capability to sing.  Some are born with a natural, beautiful voices but others need to practice and to learn how to carry a note.  At times I think, I am too old to learn how to sing, but I realize I am not too old.  Today is a new day.   God will give me the strength to believe in myself.  Also with learning how to sing, I believe it will give me confidence.

Another goal is to find a ministry of assisting others.  There are so many ministries out there.  I want to find that ministry that will bring joy to my life and make an impact to others.

Of course, I want to continue making smart choices in my health, such as exercising and eating foods that will be nutritious for me.  The brain is so important.  I will keep my brain active by reading, playing sudoku, words with friends and maybe even learning a new language.  What that language will be, I am not for sure?

The most important goal is to be positive vs. negative in how I interact with others.  I want others to see the greatness in their own lives.  I want them to see how Jesus can take control of their lives and help them to be the best possible person that they can be.  It is all about encouraging others.

So what is something that you want to do this year?  What is something that you believe is not possible?  Is there a relationship out there that you want to be better?  Is there a new job opportunity that you want?

Mark 11:22 = "Have faith in God". 

Matthew 9:29 = "Because of your faith, it will happen."

The new year has just started.  Set some goals, have some faith!


No comments: