Monday, July 4, 2016

I Love America!

This morning as I woke up and I could smell the brisket that had been cooking for the past 9 hours, the first word that came to mind was "freedom".  It is Independence Day and I thought that was appropriate.

What is freedom?  Webster said "Freedom is the liberation from slavery or restraint or from the power of another: independence".  Those words are so true.  I have talked with a lot of people from other countries that did not have the freedom to do what they wanted to do or have the freedom of speech, etc.  They came to this country so that could achieve success in education and have the freedom to select the job that they wanted to succeed at.  I have also spoken to individuals who have grown up in the USA and they did not have the freedom to do what they wanted to even within their own household, but they overcame that obstacle and succeeded as well.

So as I enjoy today, I will reflect on what Independence Day means.  July 4th commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.  The Continental Congress declaring that the thirteen American colonies regarded themselves as a new nation, the United States of America, and no longer part of the British Empire.

As you are enjoying family, picnics, firework shows..., thank God for your freedom!

The verse that comes to mind is:  "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people he chose for his inheritance.  From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth."  Psalms 33:13-14.  God Bless America!

I will end with these words that my friend Rick loves to say "I Love America"!  Rick, I love America as well!




2 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Being Australian I take freedom for granted, the freedom to say and do things that I want to say or do without worry that I forget at times that there are so many people in so many parts of the world who do not have such freedom. The freedom to vote for whoever I wish without fear.

stephen Hayes said...

The wife and I had a nice relaxing day, saw our son and enjoyed BBQ. Happy 45h to you.