Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Christmas Cactus

As I walked out of the terminal yesterday, pulling two 50 pound suitcases, I was instantly hit with the colder weather.  Fortunately, I had on a sweater which gave me some warmth.  I headed to lane 5 to get on the shuttle to Loveland.  I had left Texas with 70 degree weather and now I was back in Denver where the temperature was 37 and the wind was blowing.

I enjoyed the hour ride by looking out west toward the snowy mountains and thinking about those pioneers that had ventured out to Colorado back in the 1800's.  As I got to my car and headed home, I observed that there were no longer leaves on the trees.  When I left about two weeks ago, there was still colorful foliage.  The trees were now barren and it looked like winter.

As I walked into my house, the first thing that I saw was my beautiful Christmas cactus.  It brought a smile to my face.  I love this cactus because it belonged to my mother-in-law and it always reminds me of her sweet spirit and the strength that she had to live and thrive on this earth for 93 years.  She was such an inspiration to others.  The red blooms reminded me of how much she enjoyed wearing red.

After being out of town with limited access to wi-fi and a computer, it feels good to be able to sit down and to allow my fingers to type.


4 comments:

Rick Watson said...

That is one beautiful plant.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Nice a Christmas Cactus not a plant I am familiar with, isn't it good that luggage now has wheels unlike years gone by

steppingoutshiningthrough said...

Thanks, Rick!

steppingoutshiningthrough said...

Amen on the luggage with wheels! The only way to travel.