Friday, November 11, 2016

Veteran's Day

Today, November 11th, we celebrate Veteran's Day.  It is an official holiday that honors all military veterans.  

I researched this holiday to find out that it was actually known as "Armistice Day".  It was a holiday that marked the end of World War I, when the armistice with Germany went into effect.  The United States holiday was renamed Veteran's Day in 1954.

As I reflect on Veteran's Day, I think about the men and women who have willingly served this country.  They fought wars so that I could have the freedom that I have.  

The men that I would like to acknowledge are my father, grandfather and father-in-law.  My father was in the Navy in the 1950s and was stationed in Cuba.

My grandfather was a private in the army in World War I.  He was shipped to France to fight against the Germans.  I never met my grandfather as he died in 1937 due to complications from the gassing during the war.  

My father-in-law was a 1st Lieutenant of the US Army Air Corp.  He was stationed in the Western Pacific on the Island of Saipan.  He served on a Boeing B-29 Superfortress with twelve other men. He flew thirty-five missions over Japan as a bombadier/navigator.  After the war, he rarely spoke of his service.

Each of these men wanted to serve their country so that their children and grandchildren could live in a country that would give them opportunities to become a person with integrity, ambition, independence, loyalty and optimism.  

Thank you to all veterans!


My father-in-law.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add my thank you!!

Rick Watson said...

Ther are remarkable stories but many of them have gone untold because these brace souls could not find the words.
R