Saturday, February 25, 2017

God Has a Plan Even During Troubled Times

This morning I woke up to a temperature of 8 degrees.  Brr!!!!!

After drinking my coffee, I wrapped up in my coat and gloves and cap and went to the Weight Watchers class to weigh-in and to hear what words of encouragement that the leader would share with the group.  The class always encourages me to be mindful in what I eat and how I am taking care of myself, mentally, emotionally, physically, as well as spiritually.  This weeks motivation talk was "be kind to yourself".

It is amazing how we treat ourselves.  We are so nice and empathetic to others as they go through trials and tribulations or make mistakes.  But how do we treat ourselves when we are going through struggling times or make bad choices?

As I reflect on being kind to myself, I also think about how God has a plan for my life. God designed me with His purpose in mind.  I am not an accident.  Jeremiah 1:5 says that "before I was born, God knew me."  I am here at this time because God has a special plan for me.  God's plan does factor in the choices that I make.  I am not a puppet.  God did give me a free will.  Luke 12:7 says "God knows me by name and even the hairs upon my head are numbered."

Ecclesiastes 3:11 says "He has made everything beautiful in its time.  He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end."  This verse is telling me that we can never be satisfied with earthly pleasures and pursuits.  We are created in God's image, so we have a spiritual thirst.  We need to allow God to work in our lives and to help give us the balance that we need.

There are storms in our lives and these storms are to help us build character.  When God allows a storm in our life, He will use that storm to reveal Himself and to refine our character.  If life is going easy, we don't build character traits such as loyalty, respectfulness; humility; faithfulness; integrity and the list goes on and on.  It is that character that builds who we are and it does influence the choices that we make in life.

God does care about us and He wants to guide us through the storms.  Another favorite verse is Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  This doesn't mean that all that happens to us is good. Evilness surrounds us, but God is able to turn every circumstance around for our long-range good.

There is a time for everything, a time for every storm and it is used by God.  Allow God to use what you are going through to build "a better you".

This week I will be kind to myself and know that I am unique.  When something doesn't go right or I don't make smart choices, I will remember that I am a Child of God and that I am building character in being the person that I need to be.

1 comment:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Oh yeah he does indeed have a plan for all of us