Thursday, February 28, 2019

Faith

As I talk about my playlist of verses, another verse that I have claimed and continue to claim is "to have faith is to be sure of the things we hope for, to be certain of the things we cannot see."  Hebrews 11:1.

My life began to change as I was going through my divorce in the late 70's.   I would not wish divorce on anyone, but I know that God used this situation to help me to grow and to learn to trust in Him.  We each have our own story of how we changed and matured and learn to trust Jesus.

Hebrews is a book that is written for the Jews.  The Jews were God's chosen people.  They had walked with Him for so many years and had been led out of the country of Egypt back to their chosen land, Israel.  They had studied Judaism and now God was revealing Christianity to them.  When Christ was crucified on the cross, the curtain of the Jewish temple was torn in two.  With the curtain only the high priest could enter to communicate with God.  With the death of Christ, the curtain between God and man was split in two.  God was now saying that every person could approach Him directly through Christ and that you did not need to go through a priest to talk with Him.

The Jews were having to have faith and to believe in the promises that God had promised them from the beginning.

There were many authors for the book of Hebrews.  One of the authors talked about faith and how do we live by faith.  Faith is a belief in something for which there is no proof.  The verses are God's promises that He will do what He says.  I demonstrate my faith by believing that God will fulfill His promises even though I don't see it. 

As you read the Bible, you see characters that were filled with faith.  Abraham was one of them.  God commanded and Abraham left his home and went to another land without questioning God.

Moses' parents trusted God to protect him even though the king gave the order that every boy that was born was to be thrown into the Nile.  Moses' mother hid him when he was born and the Pharaoh's daughter found him and brought Moses into the palace.

There are so many other stories told throughout the Bible that showed their faith, "going and not knowing".

My own faith grew as I began to step out and trust Jesus that He would provide me a place to live; a job; a church; friends and so much more.....

What is God wanting from you?  Has He pricked your heart about something and you just aren't for sure?  I would say "have faith".  Put one foot out in front of the other and trust God that He is going to take care of you.  Once you step out, your life will never be the same.


1 comment:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

what a moving post, well I found it moving