Monday, August 12, 2019

Magnolia Market at the Silos/Fixer Upper

I love Texas!  Texas is home to me.  Even though I don't live there at this time, I head back to Texas every few months to see family and friends. 

Last week I was in Waco, Texas to visit my parents.  Every time that I am in Waco, my eighty-four year old mother wants to head over to the Magnolia Market to see what is happening.  For those who do not know about Magnolia Market, it is a retail store created by Wacoans Chip and Joanna Gaines.  They are the couple that created "Fixer Upper"on HGTV.  It was a series that ran for about three years.  Chip and Joanna remodeled homes for couples and individuals that were wanting to purchase a home in the Waco area.  Joanna has the vision to preserve and highlight the character of each home.  Chip goes in and reconstructs Joanna's vision.

"Fixer Upper" put Chip and Joanna and Waco on the map.  Waco is now a destination for so many people throughout the world.  One day, mom and I were at Magnolia and there was a young lady with family and friends from Colorado and Kansas.  They were having her Bridal Party at Magnolia.  On that same day, there was a young lady getting food from one of the food trucks.  She was from California and was celebrating her 30th birthday in Waco, Texas.  I chuckled at the thought of Waco being a place of destination.  I graduated from high school in Waco in 1972 and I could hardly wait to leave.

With Waco now being a place that people want to visit, every time I am back in Waco, I have friends that want to come visit me.  Everybody wants to come to Magnolia Market.  So last week, some friends from Tyler drove over and met mom and I at the Silos  That particular day, it was about 100 degrees with the heat index around 110.  It is amazing the things that we will do.

Even with the heat, the market was crowded and there were children and families playing soccer, bean bags, etc out on the lawn. 

Mom and I and my friends sat at a small round table with a huge umbrella with a mist of water in the air.  We enjoyed eating sandwiches from one of the food trucks as well as enjoying a 16 oz mason jar filled with Alabama Sweet Tea and ice.  We finished our meal with a delicious cupcake from the Silos Bakery.

The landmark for Magnolia Market are the silos.  These two 120-foot-tall-silos were completed in 1950.  Waco owed a great portion of its success to the cotton industry.  In 1900, cottonseed was second to lumber.  These silos have remained even when cotton was no longer in demand.  Chip and Joanna love to take old homes and restore them back to life.  This is what  they have done with the Silos.  These silos have been empty since the late 50s.  Who knows why these silos were never taken down?  Here we are almost seventy years later and these silos are now once again a part of something great in Waco, Texas.

Take out your "Bucket List" and put "Magnolia Market at the Silos" on that list.  You will be glad you took the time to visit this cute city and discover everything that it has to offer.




1 comment:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Sounds like an interesting place