Monday, May 25, 2020

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day!  Today is the day that we take time and commemorate those who have died in military service for our country.

The other evening, I took a picture of the American flag and in the background was a storm brewing in the east.  The picture said it all to me.  I think of the men and women who have sacrificed their lives to protect me and to give me the freedom that I enjoy daily.

We need to take time and to reflect on what the American flag represents.  Most people don't realize that the stars and stripes have meaning.  I wonder if someone would know that the 50 stars represent each state of the Union.  Did you know that the stripes represent the 13 colonies?  What if I asked you what does the colors(red, white and blue) represent?  What would you say?  The red symbolizes hardiness and valor; white symbolizes purity and innocence; and the blue represents vigilance, perseverance and justice.

When you see the wind blowing the American flag, stop and think about the history and what others have fought for so that you and I can enjoy the lives that we have.  Even during this pandemic, we have so much to be thankful for.

John 15:13 states that "The greatest love a person can have for his friends is to give his life for them."  American soldiers have done this for me and so many other people in the world.  

The next time you see a soldier, take a moment and thank him for his service.