Friday, May 29, 2020

Virtual Tour - Paris

About six months ago, I was reading about Olivia de Havilland.  For those who do not who she is, she played Melanie Hamilton in "Gone With the Wind".  She is also well-known for winning an Oscar for "To Each of His Own" & "The Heiress".  She will be 104 on July 1 and has lived in Paris since the mid 1950s.  I am saying all of this to say that I spent my free morning in Paris looking for Olivia.  She lives off of Rue Benouville.  I was hoping that she would be out for a stroll.  Sad to say, I did not see her.

After going through some stores, I took the metro back to the hotel and to meet up with the others.  My sister and four of the other ladies went to some antique shops and flea markets.  The others visited museums.  Within the city limits of Paris, there are approximately 130 museums.  Something for everyone.

We all met for lunch.  Everyone talking about all the things that they had seen in the morning.  My sister is a perfume bottle collector and she had located some beautiful bottles.  Everyone was "oohing and aahing" over her treasures.  My friend, Jackie had located a cup and saucer to add to her collection.  It was a fabulous morning for everyone.

Becca took a group to visit "Montmartre".  Montmartre is a large hill in Paris.  It is primarily known for its artistic history, the white-domed Basilica of the Sacre-Coeur on the summit and for being a nightclub district.  During the early 1900s, many artists lived and worked in this area.  Picasso painted one of his most important masterpieces "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" in this district.  Tourists also visit such sights as "Place du Tertre" and the cabaret du "Lapin Agile", where many artists work and gather to visit.  Not far from this area is the district of Pigalle, where the actual Moulin Rouge theatre is.

After visiting this historic area, we took the metro back to our hotel.

Our evening was spent reminiscing about the day and enjoying a fabulous meal.  We wanted to be back to the hotel by midnight, as tomorrow will be a long day by train to Caen(Normandy).

I hope you have enjoyed this virtual day as much as I have and I look forward to the days ahead.


No comments: