Monday, September 9, 2019

Proverbs 16 = Success

My brain is fried and my eyes can not focus any more.  As I am reading, listening to lectures and taking quizzes, I keep thinking what am I doing.  Why am I subjecting myself to this?  I am "65" and will be "66" in three months.  People keep telling me that I am at the age to retire and "enjoy life".

I have always enjoyed life.  I do try to take advantage of all my opportunities.  When I was working in the corporate world, I traveled and was always interacting with people.  I have never used the word "retire".  When I think of some retired people, I think of people who have given up and are just sitting around, waiting to die.  I know that there are others that are just as busy as when they were working.

I know since I left New York, I have been trying to find my place.  I was able to do contract assignments with the company that I worked with and that was enjoyable.  I got to travel and to train others on a product that I was familiar with and that I loved.  Now the company is going in a different direction in training, so I am not being utilized.  So what do I do now?

As I have reread Proverbs 16 for about three days in a row, I keep going back to the same verse.
Proverb 16:3, "Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed."  I know that God is not finished with me and He still wants to use me.  So what are my new plans?

I am now taking courses to get my Real Estate License.  It has been very challenging, but I do feel my brain being exercised.  Proverbs 16:9, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."  The course is laid out  with the reading, studying and listening to lectures.  The Lord sees that I am taking the steps to fulfill this task.  I am not waiting around for God to hand over the license.  Along each step, I am asking Him to bless me.  To give me confidence and to be able to comprehend what I read. 

Even Proverbs 16:16 says "How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver!"  This verse is stated several times throughout Proverbs.  God wants to give me wisdom.  How do I obtain wisdom?  It is by asking Him and then He directs me through books, reading the Bible, stretching my brain, etc.

Proverbs 16:23, "A wise man's heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction."  God is with me as I speak.

Even Proverbs 16:31 says "Gray hair is a crown of splendor, it is attained by a righteous life."  Even though I am older and I do have some gray hairs underneath the color, God wants me to have a fulfill life.  A life that is still honoring to Him.  It is with the gray hair and the wisdom that I am able to be a good listener and encourager. 

The other day I saw the most spectacular double rainbow that arched from one end to the next.  As I looked at that rainbow, I remembered the promise that God told Noah.  Genesis 9:13, "I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth."  The rainbow is visible when it rains as a sign to all that God will keep his promises.

God has promised so much in the Bible.  He promises me that if I commit whatever I do, He will be with me.  Those are the words that will get me through the next two months.


1 comment:

CWMartin said...

And that is the 2X4 God is currently beating me in the head with...