Sunday, September 29, 2019

Proverbs 18 = Be Careful What You Say

Today is a beautiful Indian summer in Colorado.  This morning it was cool, cloudy and high humidity.  It is now early afternoon and the clouds have separated and now all you see is blue sky and sun.  There is a gentle breeze from the south with the temperature rising.

As I look out of the window, I see the changing colors of the leaves. The red and golden yellow leaves are gently dancing in the distance.

I have been reading Proverbs everyday now for almost three months.  Some chapters I have read over and over and over.  There is so much truth written that it is hard to put on paper exactly what those truths are.

Proverbs 18 has used the words mouth and lips several times throughout this chapter.  As I read it again, I hear God saying "be careful what you say."  As I have mentioned several times, God has given us two ears and 1 mouth.  Are we listening or are we talking and not hearing what others have to say?

Proverbs 18:4 says "The words of a man's mouth are deep waters, but the fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook."  Our mouth is deep, but what are we vocalizing.  Are we speaking words of "truth" or we speaking words of  "untruth"?  Our mouths can be so destructive.  I choose a mouth that speaks words of encouragement, honesty, empathy and so much more.

Proverbs 18:6 says "A fool's lips bring him strife, and his mouth invites a beating."  I am in the cosmetic business, so I love different color lipsticks.  I feel like the perfect lipstick can brighten your day.  On my mirror are these words "for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness".  How true!  Your lips can either brighten your day or sadden your day.  May your mouth speak words of joy!

Proverbs 18:7 says it all, "A fool's mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul."  What your mouth and lips say can enrich your day.  What is your soul?  Are you a person of integrity, someone of morals?  Your soul will be expressed through your mouth and out of your lips.

Proverbs 18:21, "The tongue has the power of life and death...."  As I tell people, "are you going to breathe life and encouragement among others or are you going to be the one who destroys them".  I choose, breathing life. 

Proverbs 18 has so much more to say.  Take the time to read it and see what God is trying to tell you.


2 comments:

CWMartin said...

I'm in my 6th week of putting together Proverbs posts for my blogs Wednesday Bible Studies... and I' still in chapter one. It's like a mine that's never exhausted....

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I am so glad I dropped by today