Sunday, March 3, 2019

Contentment

As I stroll through my playlist of verses, another verse that is dear to me is "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."  Philippians 4:11.

Paul was the author of Philippians.  Paul was in a Roman prison and the Philippian church had sent him a gift.   Paul had treasured his time when he was with the Philippis.  It was a time of great joy as they expressed their belief and their walk with Christ.  He wrote them back to thank them for their gift and to encourage them in their faith.

Paul reminded them that whatever their circumstances were that they needed to rejoice and be glad and to keep their eyes on Christ.

We have all been in situations that we wondered how can I be happy and content. I'll never be happy!  As I thought those words, I would replay "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." I was always in awe at the peace that would come upon me and the wisdom that would fill my mind.

Like Paul, we need to be content at all times, whether we have plenty or we don't.  The secret is relying on Christ and the strength that He can give us.  As I have talked about God's promises, this is one of His promises.  God will give you the strength that you need.  He tells us in Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Jesus Christ who strengthens me."

Paul kept his eyes on Jesus, even as he was in prison.  Jesus is the only one that can give us what we are needing.  So often people are wanting possessions to fill a void in their life.  The void so often is filled with money, relationships, jobs, hobbies, drinking, etc.  Even filling the emptiness with these things does not give a person any satisfaction or contentment. Sometimes the individual even feels more depressed.

We need to remember that as we are faced with troubles, pressures, trials and so much more, we need to ask Christ to give you the strength that you need.

Give Jesus a chance.  Ask for His help.  You will be amazed at what He can do!


1 comment:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Amen my friend, well said