Saturday, March 16, 2019

What is Success?

For so much of my life, I have always said "I want to be successful".  Here I am at the age of sixty-five and I ask myself "Am I successful?". 

As I look back on my journey, I would say that I have achieved that status.  But once again, what is success?  So many people label "success" as financially achieving a substantial amount of money.  Is that the true meaning?  We have all seen so many people(movie stars, athletes, entrepreneurs) that are financially wealthy and they are very unhappy people.

Throughout the years, I have tried to define success.  The dictionary states that success is "having achieved popularity, profit and/or distinction".

A few years ago, I came across this definition "success is to be found in the way in which we live out our lives day in and day out.  It is to be found as we pursue what God calls us to be and to do.  Success is not the end of a process.  It is how we undertake the process called life."

I do feel that as I mature that I am faithfully trying to please God with all the resources and responsibilities that He has given me.  It definitely has taken me many years to realize all of this.  I still try to take over and do it "my way", but after I spend time studying God's word, I realize his way is best. 

There are so many proverbs that talk about success and how to achieve it.  Proverbs 15:22 states "Get all the advice you can, and you will succeed; without it you will fail."  And Proverbs 16:3 quotes "Ask the Lord to bless your plans, and you be successful in carrying them out."

When I am looking for answers and need direction, why don't I take the time to read the Bible?  All the answers are right there.  It could have saved me a lot of heartache throughout my sixty-five years of life. 

Some of us take a little bit longer in gaining wisdom and success.  I am definitely one of those who has taken longer to learn.

My prayer is that my years ahead, I will thank God for all the success He has given me and that I will continue to allow Him to direct me.




3 comments:

CWMartin said...

I'm right with you in being a late bloomer to wisdom. Not to mention a constant member of the "why didn't I pray about that first" club.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

With age come wisdom although I know a few pretty thick old people.I hope I have become wiser with age

steppingoutshiningthrough said...

The plus of getting older is the wisdom that we obtain.