Saturday, March 23, 2019

What Ingredients Are You Made of?

Yesterday I baked some homemade chocolate chip cookies.  I wanted the cookies to be perfect, so I followed the recipe and made sure that I had all the baking ingredients.

As I measured the flour, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs, baking soda, salt, vanilla extract and butter, I was thinking I better make sure that I do exactly what the recipe says.

Last week, a friend was visiting and she wanted to bake chocolate chip cookies.  She got all the ingredients and mixed them in the glass bowl.   As she was putting the dough on the cooking sheet, I thought that batter doesn't look like it normally does.  It seemed to be more sticky.  As the cookies baked, you could smell the cookie aroma throughout the house, but I noticed that the dough was spreading over the cookie sheet and the cookies were thinner.  The timer went off and we pulled them out of the oven.  The taste was fine, but the cookies were thin and crunchy.  To find out, my friend had put 1 1/2 cups of flour into the batter instead of 2 1/2 cups.  That 1 cup made a big difference.

With the beaters mixing the ingredients together, I made sure that I had poured in 2 1/2 cups of flour instead of 1 cup.  Thinking about the cookie mix, I also thought about how God wants us to have the perfect ingredients to build the perfect character within ourselves.

The verse that came to mind was Galatians 5:22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."  We are all born with sin, but if we allow God to show us the fruits of the spirits, we will have more harmony than the various vices that will cause destruction in our everyday life.

The fruits of the Spirit will help us be more like Christ.  By allowing the fruits of the spirit, we must know Him and love Him.  We will never be 100% in each of these virtues, but by only having a percentage of each of these virtues, we will have more peace in our lives than not have any.

For recipes to turn out well, we have to follow the instructions.  All that God is asking is that, we will follow the instructions.  Those instructions are in the Bible.  We just need to take the time and read up on what the ingredients are and how to obtain them.

The manual is there, we just need to read it.


1 comment:

CWMartin said...

Boy am I glad that your excellent post wandered a bit from the title. I just came from a blog that was asking, "what if this, what about you that" questions, and I was not looking forward to answering THAT one. Although, if you are what you eat, I am currently blueberry Pop-Tarts, chips, banana chips, cheese chunks and chocolate today...